A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 3, January 26th - A Palm Leaf for Maya Angelou

Today I tried a very simple book structure I've known about and liked for a long time but have never made. It's an ancient form of making books, and traditional to Tibet, India and South Asia. Named for the early books when the pages were made of palm leaves, they are simply a pile of pages, usually long and narrow, stacked on top of each other. They have one, two, or three holes punched through the stack and the pages are strung together on a cord or string. You read it by flipping the pages.




My palm book is a tribute to Maya Angelou. Each of the 20 pages is printed with a quotation by her. The cover also features a quotation, "A bird doesn't sing  because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song." The leaves are strung on waxed linen cord and two fluorite beads are knotted at the ends.


2 comments:

  1. I found your blog a few days ago in April2011 and so l thought l would go back to the beginning and see each day. Wow you are a brave lady to take on this challenge.xxwell done..l will be cheering you ALL through the yearx lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I have never seen this style of book. It'll be neat to see all the classic book styles you use as well as the ones you come up with yourself. I saw a post of yours on livejournal and am now going through all your books. :) I made a handmade book one time for my friend but I wish I had come across sites like this first so I could have been more creative with it. I just found a site online that told how you can use a cereal box to make a simple bound book and learned how to stitch it and everything all in one day...it turned out alright with what I had. I didn't have the right thread and Id idn't have a needle big enough so I had to use a bent paperclip lol....

    ReplyDelete