I like doing these recycled books-into-journals, just like I enjoy doing the recycled packaging books, but lately I've been feeling like I'm getting stale... boring. The whole project doesn't seem as creative as it did in the beginning. I'm playing it too safe, just "get the book done for the day." I've got a couple of new ideas brewing and, in fact, designed an entire book/sculpture in my dreams last night... and actually remembered it when I woke up. I spent part of the day rummaging around in the woodpile in the back yard for some pieces for it. So look for some different things in the days ahead, (though I'll probably throw in a recycled kids' book or two and some packaging. And, of course, colored duct tape).
"Katie" is a vintage book from the 1960s. I really liked the cover design and the vintage look. As usual, I cut out the book block and slit the cover down the middle of the spine. I wrapped the cut edge with some green and brown washi tape. I also covered the exposed spine edge of the signatures with the same washi tape, alternating green and brown.
The journal is bound with a single-needle coptic stitch with doubled gray cotton thread. I've never really liked the look of the end rows of stitches in the single-needle coptic stitch, so lately I've been wrapping the thread around the stitch an extra time and it seems to make a difference. The stitching looks more substantial.
This is a cute little book I'd be happy to carry around myself.