I planned to have the quotations/statements on the front of these little pocket notebooks/journal a lot more bold. But I wanted to use some pearlescent metallic finish card stock I bought recently for the covers and the truth is that it's not very absorbent. When I put it through the printer, the ink just sort of sat on the surface. I set it aside, thinking I'd have to start over. But after awhile, once the ink had actually dried, I liked the shadowy effect of the print. Dry, it seemed permanent enough, so I decided to go ahead and use it.
These little pocket-sized notebooks us what Alisa Golden calls the "2-sewn-as-1" binding. The cover is a single sheet, folded back on itself at the center of the spine, then folded forward again, so there is a folded flap, of sorts, inside at the center. I folded text paper into two signatures, opened the sigs so the two folds were on either side of the flap and then stitched through all the layers at once with a pamphlet stitch.
Hmmm, I'm finding it is far harder to describe than it is to do (really, it's dead simple). I guess I need to work on my technical writing skills. Miss Fowler, my high school English teacher, would be ashamed. Hopefully, you can get an idea from the photos how this fold works.
I'll probably end up making a whole slew of these to sell, maybe for the holidays, because they are fast and easy and don't need a lot of materials. I've got literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of quotations I can use on the front covers.