For this one, the covers are made of Davey board covered with a beige flowered decorative paper. This was another experiment. I used scrapbooking paper because I wanted to see if it would hold up to the gluing and folding at the edges and particularly at the corners of the cover. It did all right, though you do have to be careful. It will tear in the turning process with any rough handling at all.
The reason I wanted to see if it would work is because there is really no craft store (a la JoAnns or Michaels) or decent art supply store within 75 miles of me and prettily patterned scrapbooking paper is the one thing I CAN find in the local WalMart. It comes in those big "stacks" of various papers at a reasonable price. So now I've learned I can use them if I need to, but I still prefer better paper with more strength and flexibility.
The spine looks like leather in the pix, but it's really another piece of the recycled wallpaper samples I picked up in Oregon. The pages are hand-torn Neenah Sundance 70 lb paper.
I made this book last night, but it definitely needed to spend several hours under heavy weights if it was ever going to lie flat. I think the block is still set just a tad too far into the case, because it wants to open just a bit.
Anyway, I will do more of these. I like the structure, and I need more practice in getting the block glued in perfectly.