A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Book 285 - "Katie" - A Recycled Young Adult Book as a Journal/Blank Book - Single Needle Coptic Stitch Binding

We're actually moving up today... from recycled children's books to recycled young adult novels. Next thing you know, I'll be cutting up a copy of "War & Peace."

I like doing these recycled books-into-journals, just like I enjoy doing the recycled packaging books, but lately I've been feeling like I'm getting stale... boring. The whole project doesn't seem as creative as it did in the beginning. I'm playing it too safe, just "get the book done for the day." I've got a couple of new ideas brewing and, in fact, designed an entire book/sculpture in my dreams last night... and actually remembered it when I woke up. I spent part of the day rummaging around in the woodpile in the back yard for some pieces for it. So look for some different things in the days ahead, (though I'll probably throw in a recycled kids' book or two and some packaging. And, of course, colored duct tape).

"Katie" is a vintage book from the 1960s. I really liked the cover design and the vintage look. As usual, I cut out the book block and slit the cover down the middle of the spine. I wrapped the cut edge with some green and brown washi tape. I also covered the exposed spine edge of the signatures with the same washi tape, alternating green and brown.

The journal is bound with a single-needle coptic stitch with doubled gray cotton thread. I've never really liked the look of the end rows of stitches in the single-needle coptic stitch, so lately I've been wrapping the thread around the stitch an extra time and it seems to make a difference. The stitching looks more substantial.

This is a cute little book I'd be happy to carry around myself.







4 comments:

  1. LOL@War and Peace!!
    Almost December! I was thinking about that and what pressure there is to do this all year long! I only did a couple month of November challenges and I am ready for December!
    Can hardly wait to see what new ideas you have brewing from the woodpile. This is a cute book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a young Katie (11yo) and she even looks vaguely like the one on the cover! This would be great for her. But my question is: why did you title this post "Trudie" when the book is "Katie"? Will we be seeing a Trudie in coming days??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia - Oops. I named it that because I was really tired and apparently too lazy to go back and actually LOOK at the book I'd just made. Don't know why Trudie was stuck in my brain. I've fixed it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutting up a war and peace is a good idea if the hard cover has embossing on it. I think there are some out there...lol...any embossed covers are good for up cycling.

    ReplyDelete