A Book a Day? What's Up With That?

Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 57-Accordion Book - From My Desk - "Sticky Side Up"

Tonight I decided to make a book using only materials and tools I could find on my desk. (Luckily for me, my desk is more than a little cluttered.) Some of the items I considered using:
* a spool of copper wire
* a copy of "The Week" magazine
* supermarket receipts
* a roll of waxed linen thread
* an orphan earring
* a paperback book (but I hadn't finished it yet)
* bills (better than paying them, right?)
* a carved pine bark tortoise
* a wooden ruler

What I finally ended up using was actually pretty mundane by comparison: some purple Post-it notes, pictures cut from a brochure on Arizona's scenic byways, a glue stick, scissors, a black marking pen, and a piece of red nylon thread. The brochure actually makes sense when you consider that we have an official Arizona Tourist Information Center connected to our store and my desk in IN that visitor center.

I tore off the Post-It notes, turned them sticky side up and alternated sticking them to each other in an accordion pattern. I cut a couple of pretty pictures from the brochure, doubled them over for extra stability, edged them with black marker and glued them to the Post-its with the glue stick. I sandwiched the red thread  between the back cover and the last Post-it for a tie closure.

There you have it, a pretty little accordion book that is neither archival nor very sturdy but it's today's book.