A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Book 350-351 - Six Pack Series - Fourth Inning - Japanese Stab Bindings

More beer! More beer! More... oops, sorry, I got carried away for a minute.

But yeah, here are a couple more six-pack beauties.The Corona 6-pack is a little ordinary because the graphics aren't that great. But I really like the Fat Tire book.

In both of these blank books, I simply cut off the two large sides of the carton, and lined them with a very strong card stock. I creased the fold line for the front cover. I cut text paper pages to size and stacked the up. Clamped them between the front and back covers, poked holes through the whole sandwich.

I can make these Japanese Stab Bindings all day long and twice on Sunday. It's about the easiest sewn binding there is. And it always makes a nice book.





3 comments:

  1. just a fortnight's worth to go - i'm sure I'm only one of your many fans who will be sad when this comes to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fat tire too! Wonder what the beer tastes like? I buy a lot of different rootbeers. Those graphics are sweet too. Wished I saved more than bottle caps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I totally love your blog. I've been bookbinding since August or September. AND. LOVING. IT. Your blog is inspiring. At least once, I've had an idea for a new binding, only to find you'd got to it first! :)
    I, too, will be sad when you reach the end of your year!

    ReplyDelete