A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book 354 - Six Pack Series - Season Finale! - Stab Bound Journal/Blank Book

The finale in the proud line of 6-pack beer journals -- at least for now. I thought I was done with these until the delivery man came this week with another new brand--and I fell in love with the Pyramid Hefeweizen package.

This is a simple Japanese stab bound book. They're easy to make, fairly quick, not materials intensive. This one could be the guest book at a beer tasting party.

The front and back covers are lined with silver metallic card stock--nice and heavy--and the pages are peach-colored text-weight paper. For the side binding, I used narrow navy blue ribbon and sewed it with a criss-cross pattern.

OK, no more beer books for yet awhile.


2 comments:

  1. Would you happen to sell these anywhere online? A set of the beers would be a nice gift. I am just not into drinking beer.

    I suppose I could go dumpster diving at the liquor store or a fast grocer who breaks these up like you do and sell by the bottle.

    What we wouldn't do to get good graphics for books!

    ...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances - You're talking to a confirmed dumpster diver! I haven't started selling any of these online yet, but I plan to in the near future. I'll have an etsy store, but I also plan to go through this blog and put prices and Paypal buttons on anything for sale. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete