A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Book 324 - Recycled Vinyl Record Journal/Blank Book - Donna Summers - Coptic Binding

Finally Back! I have a pile of books to post now that I have my computer back. The whole thing had to be wiped clean and the OS re-installed, which meant restoring the entire hard drive (thank God for Carbonite online backup) AND reinstalling all the programs, some of which had to be sought and found. Still a few to find and put back on, but at least I can work now.

This book is another journal made from a vintage vinyl album. This one is "Bad Girls" by the '70s queen of disco, Donna Summers.

For the front cover, I cut the record into a rectangle with the band saw, placing the round paper label just off center. For the back cover, I cut an image of Donna Summer from the back of the album, and another piece to line it on the inside. This album had the lyrics of the songs printed on red paper inside, so I cut that to use as end papers.

The signatures are a nice 70 lb. Neenah paper, off-white with flecks like tiny pieces of lint. It has a nice feel. The 8 signatures are stitched with a single-needle coptic stitch binding with black waxed linen thread.

It's really a pretty cool book, if I say it who shouldn't.






7 comments:

  1. OMG! This could bring disco back!! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just gave me an idea for my hard to buy for nephew for next Christmas! I'm really enjoying your book a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, I love this, OMG, I sold all my old records to one guy at my yard sale! I might have a few loose 45's. Your ideas are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one, great reuse and very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if you can make a book from old VHS movies and their jackets. I've got a lot of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The VHS boxes make great color pencil holders, perhaps use the jacket to tuck a small sketch book inside with the pencils.

    Empty VHS cases makes a great short brushes holder to set on shelf; the brush tips are up and stay nice. I also use the empty VHS boxes to hold and protect old metal print blocks that are 7/8" high.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas, Frances. I know I've got a few old VHS tapes tucked away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete