A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Book 209 - Pink Snowballs Recycled Packaging Mini-Journal-Coptic Binding

Back to some more store packaging with this little coptic stitch mini-journal made from a box of pink snowballs. I'm afraid I have to admit that whenever I don't have an idea for something original, these package books are a fine fallback. Owning a grocery/convenience store means we have so many boxes to choose from! If it weren't so big, I'd probably  make one from a Stetson Hat carton (yeah, we sell those, too).

Anyway, this little mini-journal has seven signatures stitched in pink hemp with a single-needle coptic stitch binding. I had to put the covers under weight for a really long time to get them to stop curving up on me and they are still ever so slightly bent. But they'll do. I do think the pink cord is a nice girly touch!

I realize I have fallen behind on photographing and posting books here on the blog. Since I do most of my bookmaking at night, after Allen has gone to bed and I have peace and quiet and solitude, it's always really late by the time I finish. Sometimes adding the time to take the photos, size them in PhotoShop then writing and posting to the blog is just more than I can handle.  It's bedtime and I can't hold my eyes open to make a post.

I'll try to make some progress in getting caught up with posts in the next few days.





2 comments:

  1. This is perfect in pink! I love your "fall back" packaging covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute one! It's not bent noticeably...or you phtographed it well. ;)

    ReplyDelete