A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book 227 - Cased-in Codex Book with Front Flap and Clasp Closure

I think this cased-in codex book may be my favorite book so far. It was certainly the most labor and time intensive. I've been working on it for a few days. (Ah, the luxury of having a big studio, lots of materials and no customers to wait on in the store!)

The book block is made up of nine signatures stitched over tapes. I then put the book in the gluing press and glued the spine, then stretched a piece of mull over it and glued that down well. When the block was completely dry, I trimmed it on the hydraulic paper cutter for a clean edge. Finally, I glued on some pretty red-and-gray headbands.

The cover is made of Davey board. The outer case wraps all the way around the book with a closure at the front right. It is covered with royal purple bookcloth. Under the front cover is another board covered with a floral bookcloth with an Asian feel. The spine is covered with dark purple mulberry paper with a decorative edging of the floral bookcloth. The cover went under weights, and when it was completely dry and perfectly flat, I cased the book block in with a gorgeous end paper of deep purple with copper and gold embossed gingko leaves.

Finally, I glued an Asian-style metal clasp to the front closure and made a tiny bead-topped wooden stick to hold it closed.

I do love this book and--credit where credit is due--the basic design is a direct rip-off from one my sister did recently, but with different papers and bookcloths. Thanks, Sis.








5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous book. Love to see all the books you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible! What a beautiful book. I truly don't know how you do it. Is it really because there are no customers in the store??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! What a fabulous book! Just beautiful! Love the papers and the clasp...just gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coop - NO, it's because I'm not in the store. I'm in Oregon taking care of my mom and enjoying full and free access to my sister's fabulous studio! See you when I get home.

    ReplyDelete