A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book 218-"Cinderella" - Recycled Children's Book-Blank Book/Journal

I've been falling a bit behind of late, (spent last night in a hotel room with no internet connection) but I'm about to make it all up big time.

Here is another recycled children's book - Cinderella this time. I simply cut out the text block and split the cover down the middle of the spine. I folded the cut spine edges in and glued them down, leaving the original illustrated end papers showing. Then I folded signatures and stitched the blank book with a single-needle coptic binding with waxed linen thread.

I picked up a few of these kid's books at the Salvation Army the other day, so you'll be seeing more of them.

And now... the reason I expect to be all caught up soon. I am visiting family in Oregon and have unlimited access to my sister's studio. She has ALL the tools and toys and an amazing stash of supplies and she just said "While you're here, THIS IS YOUR STUDIO." I think I've died and gone to heaven.

As promised, I will take some photos of the studio over the next few days and post them for your delight and delectation (just don't drool too much on your keyboards.)





2 comments:

  1. Cute!! And I am already drooling! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, welcome to the fully equiped studio. Have a greand time.

    ReplyDelete