A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Book 219 - Pigskin Wrapped Journal/Blank Book- Long Stitch Binding

Back to working with leather with this wrapped pigskin journal. I like pigskin. Besides being very affordable, it's thin and very soft. You do often have to work around scars and flaws, but some of them are OK; they give your book character.

For this blank book/journal, I cut the leather in a roughly cross shape so I could wrap the book like a package. The pages are hand-torn Arches Text Wove, a wonderful heavy art paper. The liner is a decorative paper in a bronze swirl pattern. The longstitch binding is sewn with waxed linen thread. I tied a carved bone ring onto the end of the wrap-around thong tie.

Pretty straightforward, really. I like the way it wraps up like a neat little package.




2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I've never seen a cover like this. Cool! I learn things all the time from your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nifty idea. Reminds me a little of the Medieval girdle books.

    ReplyDelete