A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Book 330 - The Iowa Caucuses - Silly Season Begins - Concertina Book

OK, so I know this book is being posted late. With the presidential primaries, we're already on to South Carolina. But I made it over a week ago... just wasn't able to post it then.

This book was sort of a no-brainer. All I had to do was watch a few of the debates leading up to the first caucuses in Iowa to realize what must be the only proper response. I'm something of a politics junkie, and long-time followers probably have a good clue as to my political leanings, but I defy anyone, whatever your party or beliefs, to watch more than a bit of this nonsense without breaking out in guffaws. The waffling, the "oops" moments, the twisted history, the "facts are not really facts" arguments of this year's crop is simply too brilliantly twisted to take seriously. Besides, if you did, you'd have to pound your head against the wall or go running through the streets crying "IS THIS really the best we can do?"

OK, off my soap box. Let's talk books.

This is a really simple little thing. I just found a county map of Iowa online and an image of the Republican elephant and printed them both out to size on good heavy satin finish photo paper. I backed them with white card stock for extra strength. Then I laid out the pages for the accordion book in my desk-top publishing program, printed them out, folded them into the concertina folds and glued them to the insides of the covers. Voila!

Please don't tell me I'm now going to have to do one of these for every primary. I don't think I can stand it. (And feel free to copy the idea for the political nonsense of your choice. The year will certainly offer plenty of fodder.)







3 comments:

  1. LOL! That is why I can't bear to watch or listen to the political nonsense. It's impossible to even find kernels of truth from political mouths anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero! Keep up the project. I love checking in on your progress. Truly inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh politics. I was needing a book fix so I went to your first month and found some jewels there.

    The business card idea could be further developed like a shopping journal.

    The beautiful red book earrings and the added beads to the spine...sigh... just more of those. You have at least a whole book case or 3 shelves of your own books. That's amazing, keep on going to the finsh line girl.

    Then kepp on going! 365 book is enough for your own photograph book. You already have the photographs....

    A light bulb went of as I thought of those long porcupine quills that would make a nice addition to your spine stitches.

    ReplyDelete