A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book 355 - "Women in Hats" - Single Sheet Folded X-Book with Pockets

This is another idea I lifted directly from Alisa Golden's book. It's what she calls an "X-book," because of the shape of the thing while you're folding it over. It is exactly the same structure as the Indian Wedding Prayer book I posted a few days ago except that there are pockets at the bottoms of the pages for stashing things in.

The book measures 2 3/4" square and is folded from a single sheet of paper. The folded up pockets hold small images of women in hats--with all their charm and silliness. The photos can be taken out of the pockets and moved around at will.

Unlike the Indian wedding prayer book, I made a separate cover for this one from a piece of decorative paper. Then I folded flaps from the cover over the first page and glued them down.

Kind of a silly thing, but I'd like to explore the idea of the hats a bit more.




5 comments:

  1. Are you able to show a diagram of the folding method for this book? I love the pockets and can think of so many ways to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet idea for a pocket book!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I actually just learned this method last month from Alisa Golden's awesome book MAKING HANDMADE BOOKS: 100+ BINDINGS.

    One thought I had was that it would be cool to do this starting with an especially large sheet of paper, like one of those 3 foot by 4 foot sheets of drawing paper. I think it would fold down to a very usable folder/book size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure, but I think the folding is to fold up the bottom of sheet and then accordian fold. But this looks different, a variation of the nine fold book with a cover wrap?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go this form Alisa Golden's book. I'll try to get a drawing of the fold up here for you guys.

    ReplyDelete