A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Book 303 - Parcheesi - Recycled Game Board Guest Book/Journal - Japanese Stab Binding - Herrringbone Stitch

I love doing these recycled game board journals or guest books. The graphics on them are often so cool. For this one, I used a classic Parcheesi board--a game I loved playing when I was a kid. There was also this way cool graphic of some Turkish sheik-looking guy on the box. I wanted to use him, so I copied him and glued him onto the board.

I cut the board so that the board fold would form the hinge in the front cover. I bound all the cut edges with washi tape. The pages are camel-colored text paper cut to size. After drilling the holes through the covers and block, I bound it in a japanese stab binding using black waxed cotton thread in a herringbone stitch. Since the cover had those natural black stripes, I just followed the pattern. I like the way it came out.






2 comments:

  1. I loved Parcheesi when I was a kid! My favorite board game! But I don't remember the strange man on the board--LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool - and the endpaper (? that red one in the penultimate photo) is a great match.

    ReplyDelete