A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Book 348 - Oregon Vintage Postcard Book - Ribbon Ledger Binding

This ledger bound blank book has covers made from some charming vintage (or vintage-style) postcards I found in the Portland, Oregon airport earlier this month. I just grabbed them because I liked the graphics, but I had no idea what I would do with them.

So, what I did with them... I glued the postcards together, back to back, to make two double-sided covers. And I did it so that when the front cover is flipped UP, the postcard on the other side will be facing UP too. I cut a pile of text pages to size. I punched holes in the covers and the text pages with a round hole punch. I stacked the whole thing up and clamped it with binder' clips.

For the ledger binding, I cut two lengths of ribbon and threaded one length through the first hole, around the top and edge and tied it in a square knot. Then I did the same thing with the second piece of ribbon in the second hole.

On each ribbon, I slid a fat big-hole glass bead down over the ribbon. Then I tied the loose ends of the ribbons into a knot at the top of the book. You can use this knot to hang the book if you want to. That's what the ancient Japanese did with these "ledger" books--kept them hanging and handy for a quick consultation and a "How 'm I doin'"?

The postcard images make this book.




2 comments:

  1. This would be so easy to hang someplace for notes or lists. I like this format or style. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post card use. They are the right size as covers. Same take on using note cards as book enclosures. These would be great for those lists like birthdays, xmas mail lists, or events like book or art shows to attend during the year. Or even a journal for ideas of the month.

    ReplyDelete