I cut out the book block and threw away some damaged pages. Then I sliced the cover in half at the spine, folded the raw edges over and glued them down to create the covers. I drilled holes for the coptic binding and set them aside.
The pages are 24 lb white text paper. I folded 40 sheets into eight signatures. Then I tipped in an illustration from the book at the front of each signature, using decorative masking tape. I wrapped the tape around the fold of the sig so it would show at the open spine as a design element. I also glued down two other illustrations from the book as end papers inside the front and back covers.
This is a double-needle coptic stitch binding. With six sewing stations, that meant I needed six needles, two on each end of three threads. Keeping all those needles and threads in order is the challenge! But I finally feel like I've got a handle on this binding. The stitches are much neater than my earlier attempts.
This is a charming journal. Since a trip to St, Vincent de Paul's Thrift Shop this week netted quite a haul of great kids' books, look for more recycled children's book journals.