So... another book from recycled packaging. I took the single-serving Stouffer box and cut the front and back off for the covers. They were pretty flimsy so I knew they would need some sort of backing. I decided on a long stitch binding but I also decided to experiment with putting it together a different way.
I cut the pages from 24 lb text paper and folded 40 sheets into 8 signatures. Then I cut a piece of pale mossy green vinyl wallpaper the width of the spine plus 1 1/2" wide. I stitched the sigs to the vinyl with a long stitch with brown waxed linen thread. Then I glued the outside covers over the excess vinyl, using it like a hinge. Finally, I cut another piece of the vinyl and glued it to the inside of the covers, like an end paper, sandwiching the vinyl "hinge" between the cover and end paper.
It was a bit difficult to photograph well, because I JUST finished it and it is in serious need of a few hours under some heavy weights to flatten it and set the glue well.
It's an OK book, not my best effort, but OK. (And hey, every day isn't going to be a star!)
I'm off to eat my 80 calorie cherry vanilla non-fat yoghurt. Yum.