A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 10, February 2nd - Orange You Glad?

This one's a little silly, but it was fun. And it's almost all recycled. A green book.

I started with a small empty orange juice can I found in the kitchen. I cut the top off with one of those can openers that lifts the whole lid off with no sharp edge. I used some bright orange scrap paper, (a leftover Halloween party flyer) and cut 16 circles a little smaller than the inside diameter of the can. I folded the circles in half, then glued half of one circle to half of another, then added the next in  the same way until I had 8 circles glued together. I made two of these. Then I glued a longish piece of green embroidery floss into the last unglued circle half, forming the complete globe. The long green thread was anchored at the bottom of the can, threaded through the opening in the can top and then attached to a green embroidery floss pom-pom on the top.

The book is designed so that when you lift up on the pom-pom, it opens the can lid and pulls up the thread, bringing the two oranges with it, with their 8 "pages" each.

So, is this a book? Well, I said at the start I wanted to stretch the definition of a book. So yes, I think it is. It opens and closes, it has paper pages, and they are "bound" by the central thread. Yeah, it's a book.




The next few days will be challenging and I hope I can keep up. I am going out of town for four days, to Tucson to the Gem and Bead shows. I'll be in a hotel three nights and at the shows all day. I'm taking a very basic "book kit" with me: scissors, Xacto knife, a glue stick, tape, a few pieces of leather and some scrap paper, needles and thread, a little wire. If that's not enough, I'll have to try to make books out of what I can find in the hotel room or at the shows. I'm hoping my internet access will be sufficient to post here. Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment