A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 20 - The Key to Everything

Here's a neat little snake book--a folded book structure made out of a single sheet of paper. In this case, I used a sheet of 8 1/2"x11" white card stock.

This book, "The Key to Everything," shows a dozen illustrations of the word "key" including pictures of lock keys, computer keys, piano keys, Alicia Keys, the Black Keys group, the Florida Keys, a Phi Beta Kappa key, the anthrax toxin protein key, an alchemy key, Francis Scott Key, a keystone and Stevie Wonder's album "Songs In the Key of Life." The images were printed on one side of the paper, plus another key and a keyhole on the opposite for the front and back covers of the book. The paper is folded and cut so that it bends back on itself to form 12 pages. The finished book is approx. 2 3/4" square.

The second photo shows the book flat, with fold lines and cuts. This is a nifty little structure that could be made much larger with a larger piece of paper. I might explore that a bit down the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment