A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 9, February 1st - A Bass Journal

Fishermen like to brag... and keep count of what they got (or even the ones that got away, so they can lie about them).  They need a little journal to record their triumphs in.

So today I present a "Bass Journal" for recording those glorious moments. The idea for this little book was triggered by a pile of Arizona Game & Fish Dept. fish cut-outs we had sitting around. I used the bass tag as a template for the pages, which are printed in the same image but very washed out so they can be written on and still be readable. I also interspersed some of the original card stock tags throughout the book. The biggest challenge was cutting out the individual pages neatly so they lined up correctly. Die-cutter! Die-cutter!

Once all the pages were stacked, I punched holes through the mouth and strung them onto a copper wire "fishhook" to hang from. To use the book, just fan the pages out one at a time.

This book measures 8" long by 3 1/2" high, not counting the 2" long copper hook. Hope you enjoy it.



2 comments:

  1. Saw your notice on the Book-Arts list; decided to start with your Day 1 book and continue. What a great idea, and I'm loving your ideas so far (especially this Bass Journal one!) Looking forward to the rest as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome and thanks! I hope to see some of your comments on other books as well.

    ReplyDelete