A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 26-A Book Ball Garland

This one's just fun! Five little book balls--3-dimensional round books like globes hung from a ribbon to make a garland.

I used a 2" circle punch to cut the pages out of a vintage book on engineering. The pages of that book are covered with mathematical equations, charts, diagrams, etc. giving them an interesting textural look. Each book ball is made of 16 circles cut from these pages. Each circle is folded in half, then half of one is glued to half of the next, half of that to half of the next, etc., to form a globe. A thread is glued inside the globe for hanging. Then the five book balls are hung from a ribbon to make the garland.

I learned some things about how to get these balls to open correctly and how to hang evenly. I think this structure has possibilities for more playing later in the the year.




No comments:

Post a Comment