A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 15-"Achoo!" - A Loose-Leaf Allergy Book

Since I've been not at my best all day from being stuffed up, I decided to use that for today's book. I'd just grabbed the box of allergy tablets and reached for a Kleenex when it all came together at once.

Although today's book is a pretty quick-and-dirty rendition of the idea, I do like this idea and want to try it again soon. I took the allergy box and cut an oval from the front, like the oval on the top of the tissue box. I gathered a dozen quotations about colds and allergies and printed them out, then cut them into small sheets about 2 1/2" square. I folded them in half, some with a mountain fold over the text, some with a valley fold there. Then I interleaved them like Kleenex in a box. The problem was to get them to stay put inside the allergy box, which was a lot bigger than the "pages." Looking around my desk area for a way to hold them in place, I spotted a little origami box, slightly bigger than a matchbox, that a friend had sent me a cabochon in. The pages fit in it perfectly. I taped it down inside the box under the oval slit, pulled the first one, the "title page" up through the slit, and there you have it.

A couple of the quotations inside:

"I used to wake up at 4 a.m. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness." ~James Thurber

"Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar." ~Steve Allen


"Fall: it's the leaves, it's the mold, it's the pollen. Spring: it's the grass and the trees. Dust is bad in winter." ~Marjorie Crabtree

Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment