A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 27-A Checkerboard Book

Today's book started with me asking myself what I could use from the dollar store to make a book. Wandering the aisles of our local Dollar Tree, I studied everything with "book potential" in mind.

This is the first result. I bought this little travel checkerboard set for a buck. The board was a piece of printed and folded cardboard. The checkers were plastic. Perfect. I cut two pieces of the board for the front and back and odd pieces of the rest for reinforcement. The front hinge is where one of the folds falls. I reinforced and decorated it with some Japanese decorative masking tape in red with white polka dots. I also bound the raw edge on the spine side with this tape. Cut regular text paper pages, drilled holes in the spine edge and stitched with black embroidery thread in a Japanese stab binding.

To complete the story, I glued some of the plastic checkers to the cover.

 This book is very similar in the making to my Day 1 book, the Rosarita case. The covers of both are made from thin cardboard, then stitched with a Japanese stab binding.


No comments:

Post a Comment