A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Book 157 - Rte 66 License Plate Coptic Bound Double Journal

Something a little different today, a double coptic bound metal journal--sort of a biker book. And man, this one took forever! I'm tempted to take credit for two books with this.

We sell these decorative Rte 66 license plates, and I've had my eye on one for awhile. I finally figured out what I wanted to do with it. I cut it into 3 pieces, one large one for the back and two smaller ones for the French window front. I filed the raw metal edges smooth then covered them with strips of black leather. I drilled holes at both sides, folded beige paper into 6 signatures for each side and bound each side with black hemp cord in a single-needle coptic stitch.

It still didn't look finished, so I added the chain and an "S" hook clasp to hold it shut. I like it.







8 comments:

  1. OMG!! You come up with the wildest stuff that looks so cool! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever! I'm enjoying your daily books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!

    Is it for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoah, that is cool, I love route 66. traveled along there too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the nice comments. This one was fun.
    Awesome... I'm not selling off any of the actual 365 collection because I'm likely having an exhibit of it early next year. BUT... I can duplicate most of the books (inlcuding this one) and will happily do any custom orders that are within the realm of my technical ability (just don't ask me to rebind the treasured antique family Bible!) Let me know if any of you are interested in copies or custom orders. We can talk. donnameyer_writer(at) yahoo (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is way cool. You are indeed coming up with some great ideas. Happy July 4

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Definitely 2-book-credit worthy! I hope we're in 'town' for the exhibit next year!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a book quite like this one. It is raw and imaginative!

    ReplyDelete