A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Book 179 - Recycled Children's Book/Journal - Winnie the Pooh

I'm loving making these recycled children's book journals. This one has a single-needle coptic stitch binding. The cover boards are very sturdy and that made stitching it and keeping it flat a breeze.

This one is a Disney version of "Winnie the Pooh & Tigger Too," another thrift store find. I carefully removed the book block and cut the cover down the spine, trimmed the raw edge, folded it over and glued it, then clamped it to dry. The book block is made up of six signatures of six sheets-total 72 pages (144 counting both sides). To the first page of each signature, I tipped in a full-page illustration from the original book. I also added the original end papers back in.

Nice little hand-made journal.






1 comment:

  1. Yes--these upcycled kid's books are charming! I love that you added back some of the illustrations. Nice touch! :)

    ReplyDelete