A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Book 181 - "Conspiracy" - A Hemp Cord Spiral Bound Notebook

I'm late posting this spiral-bound notebook done with hemp cord stitching. I'm finding that keeping the blog up to date--what with taking photos, resizing them, uploading, and writing the post is harder than actually making the books!  This offbeat little notebook has been sitting around for two days now, occasionally calling out "Post Me, Please!"

So I finally answered the call. While wondering what book to make the other day, as my eye wandered around the room, I saw the box for the board game I used to make the book trio a few days ago. The game title "Conspiracy" was emblazoned across the front of the box in big yellow and red letters and just called out "pick me! pick me!" (Hmmm, Am I getting completely batty here? Why are all these things yelling at me?)

I cut the top off the box cover and cut the giant word in half. I backed the pieces with black textured card stock. Then I printed out words for all the "conspiracy theories" I could think of--the more far out the better--and added them to the covers and the insides of the covers. I sure hope this comes across as really tongue-in-cheek as I mean it. Because I do think all this stuff is just plain silly.

The finished book measures 8 1/2" long x 3 1/4" wide with approx. 100 pages of white text paper. The spiral binding is done with loosely wrapped black waxed hemp cord. On the whole, a pretty silly little book, but making it was fun.






2 comments:

  1. Well, you are the one who brought up *loosely wrapped* not the rest of us. I live in an apartment where everything calls out to me *pick me, pick me, no me, no no ME.* so it all makes sense to me.

    Is that a new Apple App, the iRacy? Does it imply a person of loose morals, or an App that eliminates ALL of your mistakes?

    Now who's one snack short of a boxfull?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! This one is pretty funny! :)

    I've always talked to inanimate objects--from cars to microwaves to pens--so nothing seems the least bit amiss to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete