A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Book 166 - Coptic Stitch Dos-a-Dos Journal - Aleister Crowley Tarot

Another Coptic Stitch Journal, this time a dos-a-dos two sided one, where each side of the book is the front of half the book (see the pix for a better idea). Basically it is two books with a single back.

I love these tarot cards from the Aleister Crowley deck. The illustrations are just so lush. The card on the front is the "Love" card, the one on the "other" front is the "Lust" card. Seemed like an appropriate juxtaposition. Measures 2 1/2" x 4".

I backed the cards with gold pearlescent cardstock for extra stability. The center card is three layers of the same cardstock laminated together. The Love side has off-white text paper pages, the Lust side has tan pages. Each side has 8 signatures bound with a coptic stitch with beige linen thread.

Even after all the coptic stitch books I've made for this challenge, I'm still not happy with my technique. It just looks sloppy to me, especially the end rows. And I can never seem to get the tension perfect so that the book closes nice and flat. I guess I'll have to break down and learn the double-needle coptic and see if that helps.




8 comments:

  1. I love the books you make, thank you for the inspiration!!!
    It's Aleister, by the way, I only point this out because it's my preferred spelling and I named my cat after him. Haha. The artist, Lady Frieda Harris.

    These books have been my favorite.
    Thank you again.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction. I've made the change. And thanks for the kind words. They keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I enjoy your blog and work also! Do you think the double needle coptic (which isn't really difficult) would make it sturdier? I've done both and see no difference. Do you use waxed thread?
    best, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, thanks for the compliment. I really don't know if the double-needle will be better. I do either used waxed linen thread or I wax it before stitching with beeswax, so that's not the problem. Just have to keep experimenting and practicing, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You keep coming up with styles I've never seen before. This is so clever...and using Tarot cards! Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, I LOVE this!!! So creative, and so beautiful. I can't tell you how much I enjoy your book a day posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura (cabbingrough) - Thanks for the kind words. Glad to know you are around! Did you see the post I did for your Adventure Book? I've got a jewelry piece in the works with one of your stones. It may be a while, but it's coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard that coptic takes practice to get the tension right. My own efforts have indeed been sloppy, and I did have directions for 4 needle oncet. This is really nifty.

    ReplyDelete