A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book 169 - a Cardboard & Duct Tape Recycled Blank Book/Journal

Going a little grungy today. Here is a blank book/journal recycled from two pieces of cardboard cut from a case of Arizona Iced Tea. The backs and edges are covered with acid green duct tape (my faithful followers know about me and duct tape). The 6 signatures of 5 sheets each of creamy colored recycled paper make 60 pages (120 both sides) inside the journal.

I joined the front and back of the book with folded strips of the green duct tape taped down inside then stitched the signatures over the tapes with a longstitch binding with red hemp cord. It's really quite colorful!

This is pretty much a quick and dirty, grunge-look thing, but it qualifies as today's book.




1 comment:

  1. All the colored duct tape makes me smile. Used to all be that silver grey stuff. This is cute! :)

    ReplyDelete