On my recent trip to the Salvation Army store, I scored this very cool game called "Conspiracy" in like-new condition. I loved the graphic on the playing board and I love the way it looks in these books.
The first book, on the left in the photo, is the one I made yesterday, but I waited to upload it so it could be part of the set. It's a coptic bound journal with eight signatures of five sheets each, for a total of 80 pages (160 counting both sides). After cutting the board into pieces, the covers had two finished edges and two cut edges. I finished those raw edges with black tape like electrical tape. The coptic binding is done with waxed linen thread.
For the next book, a Japanese stab-bound journal, I decided to use the part of the board that includes the center fold. It seemed perfect for the hinge for a stab-bound book. Again I finished the raw edges with black electrical tape. I cut the stack of pages, positioned them and drilled holes through the whole thing. Then I stitched it with a herringbone stitch with red waxed hemp cord. A nice book.
Finally, for the perfect bound notebook, I took the remaining pieces with a very cool graphic from the center of the sides of the board. I finished off the two raw sides with electrical tape, cut the stack of pages, clamped the whole thing together and glued it with a couple coats of padding compound. When it was completely dry, I covered the top glued edge with a piece of black bookcloth to give it a clean look. For a lark, I turned the back board "inside out," so the fun graphic is on the inside of the back of the notebook, sort of a surprise when you get to the back.
I think this trio of game board books is very cool.