A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Book 184 - A Tee-Tiny Hand-Made Mini-Journal

This is a tiny and lovely little thing, the perfect blank mini-journal to drop in a pocket or purse to jot down a phone number or address or capture a stray thought before it escapes. This mini-book measure 1 3/4" x 2".

This little book is put together like a codex, though the cover is soft rather than covered boards. For the cover I used a very pretty and delicate scrap of pale pink hand-made paper with a dried flower embedded in it. The 26 pages of lightweight cream-colored paper are glued in a perfect binding. The block is then glued to the spine. It's a simple, very straight-forward structure that works well on this scale, since there is little strain on it.

Book 184! I'm over the hump and now sliding down the far side. Only 181 to go!



2 comments:

  1. Lovely little book and yes, very handy.

    Spent today Freecycling the tv I dont watch, clearing a couple of square feet of work/staging area. And have put together four boxes of books to try to sell on Monday. And drew #8. A very full day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! And sooo tiny! :)

    ReplyDelete