A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 183 - A Snake Fold Mini-Book--How Do I Love Thee?

Today, a pretty and romantic little snake-fold book.

But first, a treat...



Today, I passed the half-way point on this year-long challenge. 183 books. It's been a tad more than 183 days (I think I'm about 3 days behind, but I will catch up in the next week or so). I am inordinately proud of myself. You sort of have to know me to fully understand what a big deal this is. I'm creative, I'm interesting, I'm sometimes funny. What I'm not is disciplined at sticking with something till the end. So yeah, I'm feeling pretty good. And I have no intention of quitting. On to 365!

OK, today's book... This is a little, 2 3/4" square accordion book that is a snake-fold, all nine pages made from a single sheet of 8 1/2"x11" card stock. The trickiest part of this folded book is getting the text laid out right so it's reads correctly when it's cut and folded.

The two cover boards are covered with decorative paper. The front cover has three hearts added, cut from three different colors of metallic finish paper. The cover is then sponged with gold Pearl-Ex. The text is Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous love poem, "How Do I Love Thee?" The whole book is held closed with a silver stretchy tie that slips over the corners.

A sweet romantic little book--it would be a good Valentine's or Anniversary gift.








3 comments:

  1. How DO you get that text laid out right? Are you doing it the old-fashioned way or with a computer program? If it's the latter, may I ask which one? I haven't bought any fancy programs but the regular ones (Word, PowerPoint) are way too frustrating. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOPEE!! Congratulations. and I certainly identify with not sticking to things long term because there is so much else interesting to do instead. It is not that we are slacking off.

    I always love this book, I think I use a different cover. And indeed, I could only do the text on that by hand.

    Up to day 7 for the 75 Ink Sketches, that is after I do one tonight.

    You are such an inspiration. Go Go go. Hugs, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fireworks video! I have never, ever been accused of being consistent or disciplined. I would be doing summersaults if I had accomplished what you have so far. I am duly impressed.

    And such a sweet little book with the perfect poem for the heart cover. I know so little about computers that I would have to hand-write anything like that, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete