A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Book 140 - "No Life for a Virgin" - Loose Stab Binding

I wish I could tell you guys that I chose to do another loose stab binding today to cement the technique in my mind after yesterday's book. That's a pretty good story. The truth is, this was supposed to be a quick, easy, spiral-bound book. But the book is large -- 8 1/2" x 11"-- and it turns out that's too big to do a hand turned spiral binding (or at least it is for me). My book was too big, my holes were too small, my wire got too work hardened from over-working it. It just was not meant to be.(In fact, it was a mess.)

So I pulled out the ugly, brittle, scratched wire I had managed to get threaded into the book and did this loose stab binding instead. The stitching is done with red hemp, very strong and doesn't stretch.




Honestly, in the time it took me to make this book, I could have gotten in my car, driven the 30 miles into town, bought a spiral-bound notebook, eaten a meal, driven back and done something clever to the notebook's cover. Note: This is not an exaggeration.

OK, so I'm fine with the finally finished book. I do love the cover. It's made from a blown-up print of the cover of an old 1950s pulp novel. The print was a bit thin so I glued it to a nice heavy cardstock backing. I'm getting smarter. This time I used spray adhesive. No warping. The books pages are alternating sheets of graph paper and vellum tracing paper and there are 60 pages total.

Some nights I just have to ask "Why am I doing this again?"

6 comments:

  1. I think it will be interesting to see how you, and all the other 365 participants, are when you hit your 365th day. You go to sleep, wake up and don't "have" to do a book....will you have become OCD and feel
    compelled to do another?...hahaha...but, really, I do think it will be interesting?? Great books, really great books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing this for us--your faithful followers--ROFL!!

    Aha! Spray adhesive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl - I've thought about that too. Knowing me, I will be quite happy not to "HAVE" to make a book every day, but I'm quite hoping I will still "want" to do so. And I've wondered about keeping up this blog after the year is up. I've developed relationships with many of you here and I'd hate to lose that!

    Rita - Yes that was a true "AHA!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this alternative to the spiral notebook. Those spirals are always getting caught onto something and I like the threading much better. Or make a new spine cover to go over the spirals which is what I have done. Now that could be a way of making decorated updated spirals covers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What rita said. :-) For us, your faithful followers,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, Rachel et al,- You are righter than you know! If you guys weren't here to keep me accountable, I think I might have quit some time ago. So thank you all!

    ReplyDelete