A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Book 152 - A Medieval Limp Binding Leather Journal

After all the time I've been making these leather long stitch journals, I finally learned a name for them today. They are called medieval limp bindings and they go back to about the 14th century. Who knew?

This is a pretty little book. The leather is a lovely soft pale blue/green and I've stitched it with bright green waxed hemp cord. The paper is just lovely--Neenah "Sundance," a velvet-finish ivory paper with good weight. The pages are hand torn for a nice deckled edge. The book closes with a hand-looped cord in the same green hemp that wraps around a vintage bakelite button.

When I'm ready to start selling off this collection next year, this book will definitely sell. Nice...








2 comments:

  1. Indeed that will sell, a real beauty. Always hard for me to actually use something that beautiful, so hope it goes to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! What a pretty and yet rustic little book. Nice!! :)

    ReplyDelete