A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Special Post - A Treat for Book Arts Lovers

OK, here's the zinger I promised you but let me clear--IT ISN'T MINE. I did not make this book.

You might remember (or note above) that I mentioned in the intro that I learned book-making from my sister, Marilyn Worrix. Marilyn lives in Oregon and is one of the organizers of an important bi-annual book arts conference (which, in fact, started today). For every conference, there is a gallery show of artists' books done by the faculty and staff. Marilyn always tries to make something special for that show.

And boy did she out-do herself this time! This is as much a piece of sculpture as it is a book. And I about fell out of my chair when she emailed my a picture of it.

Here it is. Click on the image to get a larger version:

The basic structural parts are different types of wood. The two pedestals are painted with milk paint. I think all the other wood parts are stained. The two plaques on the front are copper (left) and brass (right), which have been etched in ferric chloride with the letter "G" (left) and the word "Gutenberg" (right). The central book is a leather-covered codex stitched on cords. It measures approx. 4"x5". The four "portholes" above, cut from thick pieces of mica, have a thin mica window, behind which are pieces of metal type. The top book is made of paper that has been torn, died, inked, and otherwise distressed.

After this, I may not make another book for the rest of my life. My attempts here seem embarrassing by comparison. (No, I'll keep going, just maybe try to aim a little higher.)

Hope you enjoy seeing this. Can you tell I'm a proud sister???

P.S.: I'll post my book for today a little later, as soon as I can get it to do what I want it to do!

2 comments:

  1. My goodness! Now that is elaborate! Beyond mere bookmaking, it is art. I bet that would be a fascinating exhibit to attend, tho.

    Your sister is very talented, but so are you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we know that she is not making one of these a day. But how wonderful that she has shared her passion with you, and then you with us. This work is really grand.

    ReplyDelete