A Book a Day? What's Up With That?


Hi, and welcome to this year-long project. So what's this all about and how did it happen, you might ask. In mid 2007, artist Noah Scalin decided to make a skull out of anything he could find, every day for a year. It stretched him in ways he never imagined, as an artist, a writer and a person. His experience turned into a blog that went viral, and then a book.

Others have picked up on the idea: 365 Hearts, 365 Masks, 365 Bears drawn on a cellphone, 365 paper napkin mustaches.
I wanted to play, too, and I chose books. I love books, I know a bit about making books (thanks to my talented book-maker sister, Marilyn Worrix), and they're broad enough in definition to give me a lot of creative leeway.

The whole point is not really the books. The idea is to stretch myself in many ways as an artist and a person, to set up a discipline, stick with it and see what that teaches me.

I hope you'll join with me and follow along on the journey chronicled here, and let me know what you think.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Book 148 - A Folded Diamond Book - Vintage Book Decor

OK, so I didn't "make" this book. But I did make this book "into" something else. For the purposes of this challenge, that counts.

I love the look of these folded up books, turning old books into contemporary art and home decor. I've wanted to try one for a really long time. Tootling around the internet last night, I found a tutorial for a simple folded book and decided to try it. In this one, you simply cut off the book's covers and spine, leaving the gluing and stitching intact for strength. Then, beginning at the first page, you make a diagonal fold, pulling the upper right corner of the right hand page down into the spine.  Then make another diagonal fold from the bottom left corner up into the spine. Then do the next page. Until The End.

What did I learn doing this? I learned that you should use a newer book or one with better paper. This older book is printed on acidic paper that has yellowed. More importantly, it is brittle. Many times, as I made the sharp point fold at the top, the paper would crack and tear. Newer or stronger paper would solve that. I also learned you need to pay a lot of attention to the exactness of the folds. I think you can see in the photos where my folds improved.  The first ones were a little ragged.

There are many, many fold designs for these folded books, all of which yield different shapes. And I want to try some more. Today, I saw a tutorial being sold on etsy that supposedly has directions for 24 different folds. I think I'll order it. So expect to see more folded up books before the year is out.





4 comments:

  1. This made me wonder if one could fold into a star shape and hang it over the Christmas holidays...don't know why. Pretty cool. Love to see what else you'll come up with after you get all those instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, I've been following your blog for awhile (it's awesome and very inspiring!). Would love to check out the instruction book, but couldn't find it. Can you point me to it? Seriously, your work rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollis,
    Here is the link for the folded books tutorial on etsy:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/67365522/folded-book-tutorial
    I just ordered mine and have not yet got the link so can't tell you anything else about it. But I'm looking forward to trying more folds. Thanks for the nice comments and have fun!

    ReplyDelete