After liner paper was glued to the inside of the cover, the two small center signatures were stitched to the inside center line of the cover and creased well with a bone folder. Then the cover was folded again and creased to form the outer spine. The other two signatures were sewn on either side of that line, all at once with the thread going through all the layers, then folded back into place and creased.
I used a piece of special two color card-stock paper for the cover (in this case black and white) so that you get the two-tone effect when you tear it. It can also be sanded to expose the white through the black, but I didn't do that this time. The liner is a piece of text-weight paper printed with a highway map. I've also torn pieces of the map and glued to the front and back of the journal as a decorative accent.
It's really a pretty nifty little structure and not at all difficult. Just what I needed tonight, because I always seem to get a bit sick when I get home from a vacation! I just want to sleep! So I am still one book behind, but I've started on it and will finish it tomorrow to catch up.
See you then.